25th ASCIA Annual Conference, Melbourne Convention Centre, 10-13 September 2014
"This is the 25th ASCIA annual conference and we celebrate today those people who considered, 25 years ago, that the synergies from joining the Clinical Immunology Group of the Australasian Society for Immunology with the Australian College of Allergy were worth more than our differences. With more than 400 delegates at this conference this shows that this is the case.
In welcoming you to this conference I suggest we are here to achieve the following 3 things:
1. Update on the clinical and scientific basis of our practice Thank you in advance to our 4 international speakers, to CFAR for jointly sponsoring 2 of these speakers, and to local speakers who bring their work and passion to our conference.
2. Update on our local research This is the largest number of posters ever displayed and presented and I thank all of the authors for their efforts.
3. Celebrate our collegiality Our annual conference is an opportunity to renew and refresh our relationships with our professional colleagues and industry partners in this dynamic environment.
Thank you to all for coming, welcome, and enjoy!"
Congratulations to the poster and clinical grand round (CGR) award winners, who are listed on the ASCIA website: www.allergy.org.au/health-professionals/awards-grants/ascia-award-grant-scholarship-recipients
All 111 abstracts that were submitted for posters and CGR cases are also published online, in the Internal Medicine Journal (IMJ): www.allergy.org.au/conferences/ascia-annual-conference/published-abstracts-ascia
I would also take this opportunity to thank all of the following:
International speakers - Prof Bobby Gaspar, Prof Robert Lemanske, A/Prof Kari Nadeau, A/Prof Wayne Shreffler.
Basten Orator - Prof James McCluskey www.allergy.org.au/conferences/ascia-annual-conference/annual-ascia-basten-oration
Organising committee - Prof Katie Allen, Dr Sara Barnes, Dr Jeremy McComish, Vicki McWilliam, Dr Kate Nicholls, Prof Robyn O'Hehir, Dr Joanne Smart, Prof Mimi Tang, Dr Dean Tey, Leone Thiele.
Other speakers and chairs - 40 speakers and 44 chairs in total.
Delegates - 420 delegates in addition to 100 exhibitor delegates.
Sponsors and exhibitors - for their continued support of ASCIA annual conferences and other ASCIA educational initiatives.
ASCIA and ICMSA staff - Sandra, Rikki, Michelle, Rebecca, Helane.
Highlights of the ASCIA 2014 Annual Conference included:
- A total of 111 abstracts submitted, comprising 96 posters and 15 CGR cases - a record high.
- 90 oral poster presentations – another record high.
- A total of $24,000 AUD in awards for CGR/posters and travel scholarships – another record high.
- Popular social functions including the Gala Dinner, held at the Melbourne Aquarium.
Content updated March 2021