24th ASCIA Annual Scientific Meeting, Perth Convention Centre, 10-14 September 2013
Congratulations and thank you to the ASCIA 2013 Chair, Dr Richard Nolan for coordinating a very successful meeting, both in terms of the scientific and social programs, which have received excellent feedback. Thank you also to the:
- Organising committee - Dr John Bandouvakis, Dr Christine Bundell, Rachael Dunn, A/Prof Peter Hollingsworth, Monica Kemp, A/Prof Richard Loh, Dr Andrew McLean-Tooke, Val Noble, Prof Elizabeth Phillips, Ingrid Roche, Prof Susan Prescott, Sandra Vale.
- International speakers - Prof Abul Abbas, Dr Linda Cox, Prof Josep Dalmau, Prof Raif Geha, Prof Ruby Pawankar, Prof Harald Renz.
- Basten Orator - Prof Susan Prescott www.allergy.org.au/conferences/ascia-annual-conference/annual-ascia-basten-oration
- Other speakers and chairs - 79 in total, comprising 37 speakers and 42 42 chairs from Australia and New Zealand, in addition to 40 presenters of posters (26) and clinical grand round (cgr) cases (14). All ASCIA 2013 poster and cgr abstracts published in the online Internal Medicine Journal (IMJ) www.allergy.org.au/conferences/ascia-annual-conference/published-abstracts-ascia
- Delegates - 352 delegates and 104 exhibitor delegates.
- Sponsors and exhibitors - for their continued support of ASCIA annual conferences and other ASCIA educational initiatives.
- ASCIA and ICMSA staff - Sandra, Michelle, Rebecca, Helane.
Highlights of ASCIA 2013 included:
- 6 Presidents of international or national allergy and/or immunology organisations (an Australasian first) with Prof Abul Abbas (FOCIS), Dr Linda Cox (AAAAI), Prof Connie Katelaris (APAAACI), A/Prof Richard Loh (ASCIA), Prof Ruby Pawankar (WAO) and Prof Harald Renz (GSACI) all involved in the conference.
- Postgraduate Immunology Course, run by Prof Abul Abbas, held for the 2nd time as part of an ASCIA conference.
- 37 speakers and 42 chairs from Australia and New Zealand (79 in total – a record high) and certificates of appreciation for all of these participants, in recognition of their valued contribution.
- 40 other oral presentations, with 26 posters and 14 clinical grand round cases presented and 64 posters submitted and displayed.
- A total of $20,000 AUD (another record) in poster and clinical grand round (cgr) awards and travel scholarships, comprising 9 awards (ranging from $1,000 -$1,500) and 20 advanced trainee travel scholarships of $500 each. Congratulations to the award winners, who are also listed on the ASCIA website: www.allergy.org.au/health-professionals/awards-grants/ascia-award-grant-scholarship-recipients
- Extremely popular social functions on each evening from Wednesday to Friday. The ASCIA 2013 Gala Dinner was held at State Reception Centre, Fraser's restaurant, with magnificent views of the city and river from King's Park.
Content updated March 2021