ASCIA Progress Report - National Allergy Council Schools and Childcare project - February 2023
ASCIA’s involvement in the National Allergy Council Schools and Childcare project includes education and training of staff in schools and Children's Education/Care (CEC) Services.
The following information summarises the progress of ASCIA’s involvement in the project as at 9 February 2023, in regards to:
- Increasing the uptake of ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC
- Scoping education undergraduate training
Increasing the uptake of ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC
- To obtain feedback in 2023 about ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training courses for schools, CEC and community a short survey is now included at the end of the courses, which will only take users a few minutes to complete before they obtain their certificate of course completion. All information collected will be anonymous and courses can be accessed here.
- ASCIA e-training surveys used to be optional, whereas now they need to be completed before users obtain their certificate of course completion.
- Once data is collated and reviewed, ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training courses will be updated as required based on feedback.
- ASCIA will continue to maintain and provide user support for ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training courses.
Scoping education undergraduate training
Whilst we are aware that some undergraduate school teaching courses include ASCIA e-training, we do not know the extent of this, and if is mandatory or optional.
To scope the benefits, enablers and barriers for incorporating allergy training into undergraduate school teacher training ASCIA will:
- Conduct a gap analysis to determine current allergy education being provided in universities.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to determine the benefits, enablers and barriers for incorporating allergy training into undergraduate training.
- Work with NAC and other relevant organisations to develop minimum competencies.
- Provide a report with the findings of the above activities.
This news item was issued on 9 February 2023 by Jill Smith, CEO of ASCIA, the peak professional body for clinical immunology and allergy in Australia and New Zealand.