ASCIA Progress Report - National Allergy Council Schools and Childcare project
ASCIA’s involvement in the National Allergy Council Schools and Childcare project includes education and training of staff in schools and Children's Education/Care (CEC) Services.
The following information summarises the progress of ASCIA’s involvement in the project as at 9 February 2023, in regards to:
- Increasing the uptake of ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC
- Scoping education undergraduate training
Increasing the uptake of ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training for schools and CEC
- To obtain feedback in 2023 about ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training courses for schools, CEC and community a short survey is now included at the end of the courses, which will only take users a few minutes to complete before they obtain their certificate of course completion. All information collected will be anonymous and courses can be accessed here.
- ASCIA e-training surveys used to be optional, whereas now they need to be completed before users obtain their certificate of course completion.
- Once data is collated and reviewed, ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training courses will be updated as required based on feedback.
- ASCIA will continue to maintain and provide user support for ASCIA anaphylaxis e-training courses.
Scoping education undergraduate training
Whilst we are aware that some undergraduate school teaching courses include ASCIA e-training, we do not know the extent of this, and if is mandatory or optional.
To scope the benefits, enablers and barriers for incorporating allergy training into undergraduate school teacher training ASCIA will:
- Conduct a gap analysis to determine current allergy education being provided in universities.
- Engage with relevant stakeholders to determine the benefits, enablers and barriers for incorporating allergy training into undergraduate training.
- Work with NAC and other relevant organisations to develop minimum competencies.
- Provide a report with the findings of the above activities.
This news item was issued on 9 February 2023 by Jill Smith, CEO of the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA). ASCIA is the peak professional body for clinical immunology and allergy in Australia and New Zealand.