Anapen® Patient Support
ANAPEN® 150, 300 and 500 adrenaline (epinephrine) autoinjectors are now available in Australia on the PBS as of 1st September 2021 in Australia.
ANAPEN® is being made available by Allergy Concepts, which has partnered with Arrotex to ensure widespread availability in pharmacies across Australia.
Allergy Concepts has aligned itself with several organisations to offer patient support services, which include:
- Free ANAPEN® trainers available on demand from treating doctors.
- ANAPEN® trainers available via Allergy Anaphylaxis Australia (A&AA) and local pharmacies.
- Free pharmacy support at participating pharmacies that can be located using https://anapen.pharmaprograms.com.au/locator/
The free pharmacy support includes:
- Device demonstration using an ANAPEN® trainer
- Patient support pack including an ANAPEN® patient information leaflet, ASCIA Action Plan for Anaphylaxis (ANAPEN® version), ASCIA Travel Plan for Anaphylaxis, ANAPEN® how to use card and access to an optional patient sms/email ANAPEN® expiry reminder.
The Anapen website www.anapen.com.au includes links to how to use videos, education information, ASCIA and A&AA anaphylaxis resources.
Whilst the availability of another brand of adrenaline autoinjector in Australia should address any future product shortages, it is important that prescribers and their patients are familiar with both brands.
ANAPEN® is available in three dose strengths:
- 150 microgram for young children (7.5 Kg to 20 Kg )
- 300 microgram for children (>20 Kg) and adults
- 500 microgram for anyone weighing more than 50 Kg.
The range of strengths is included in the 2021 ASCIA Guidelines for Acute Management of Anaphylaxis www.allergy.org.au/hp/papers/acute-management-of-anaphylaxis-guidelines and other ASCIA anaphylaxis resources, such as the ANAPEN® version of the ASCIA Action Plan for Anaphylaxis. To access these resources visit www.allergy.org.au/anaphylaxis
ASCIA Anaphylaxis e-training courses for Schools, Children’s Education/Care (CEC) and Community have being updated to include information about ANAPEN® and are available at www.allergy.org.au/about-ascia/about-ascia-e-training